Altcoins are cryptocurrencies that aren’t Bitcoin. Since Bitcoin is the flagship cryptocurrency it is an important term to differentiate between Bitcoin and its competitors. Will an “altcoin” eventually overtake Bitcoin? It is difficult to know. More likely than a winner-take-all scenario is a multiple-winner scenario where numerous altcoins continue to rise alongside Bitcoin. Here are some of the altcoins we are hearing a lot about. Do your own research on these cryptocurrencies before investing and understand this is not a comprehensive list.
Here are some cryptocurrencies to watch:
- Litecoin (LTC) – Primary cryptocurrency running on the Scrypt algorithm. Often referred to as “the silver to Bitcoin’s gold”.
- Monero (XMR)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Dogecoin (DOGE) – Meme coin is still a real cryptocurrency.
- NXT – Proof-of-stake, interesting.
- Bitshares (BTS) – A distributed and decentralized marketplace.
- ZCash (ZEC) – Highly anonymous payment system.
- Ripple (XRP) – Centralized blockchain but an interesting project nevertheless.